Saturday, April 5, 2014

Blogging From A to Z Day 5: E is for Evolution


For the month of April I will be participating in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Learn more about the challenge by clicking here. Each day (except Sundays) I will be posting a theme based on each letter of the alphabet. This blog is covering automotive topics for the month. To read my other blog posts for the challenge, click here.
If it wasn't for Subaru finally bringing its Impreza WRX STi to the United States, we might never have known the amazing performance of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution at all. I remember when both cars were about to release here, some of the old school automotive journalists tried to act like they were jokes because they only had four cylinders. I could go on about all the high-performance cars with four banger engines, but I'll spare you all. 


The Evolution has been a tremendous contribution to the automotive world. While it might not be as fast as an STI when it comes to straightline acceleration, Mitsubishi's highly advanced all-wheel drive system gives the car a definite edge on a twisty track. In fact, you can stick turns in an Evolution that many cars, including some high-priced exotics, couldn't make without spinning out. Considering the car was built first for rally racing, superior handling is essential. 

I have a weakness for turbocharged cars. Sadly, though, I really hate the crowd that gravitates toward the Evolution (and the Subaru WRX and STI). Most are driven by little thug boys or kids who are miffed because daddy wouldn't buy them a BMW M3. When I had a Saab, these punks would always try to race me, never mind that I had my kid with me. I've considered buying a used Evolution as a hobby car, but the image thing always holds me back. 


Sadly, as things sit right now the Evolution will be discontinued. As I blogged before, Mitsubishi is considering replacing the car with a high-performance gasoline-electric hybrid (following in the footsteps of Ferrari and Porsche). News broke just a few days ago that a source inside the Japanese automaker claims there is so much infighting and indecision that there is no clear plan for another performance-oriented Mitsubishi car. This is disappointing since Mitsubishi has a habit of producing some highly advanced and incredibly fun-to-drive performance models (like the 3000GT VR4). Hopefully the source is full of it, or it's Mitsubishi blowing smoke to throw the media off.


2 comments:

  1. I am learning a lot here about various cars. I never thought of Mitsubishi as a high performance car... but then my room for learning on this topic needs lots of help. Really enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mitsubishi makes much more than just economy cars. Well, at least right now it does.

      Delete