Friday, April 4, 2014

Blogging From A to Z Day 4: D is for Diablo

Image courtesy Brian Snelson via Flickr
For the month of April I will be participating in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Learn more about the challenge by clicking here. Each day (except Sundays) I will be posting a theme based on each letter of the alphabet. This blog is covering automotive topics for the month. To read my other blog posts for the challenge, click here.

Today, Lamborghini is known for wild, angular vehicle designs and price tags that equal what many people pay for their house. The Italian car company captured the world's attention in the 1970s thanks to the Countach, a supercar that was like none other. With the increased attention on the company came anticipation about what the raging bull would do next, meaning the next car had to be something spectacular.

That spectacular follow-up model was the Diablo.

Like all Lamborghini models, the Diablo's name came from the world of Spanish bullfighting. In Spanish, "Diablo" means "Devil" and it was a fitting name for the car that looked and performed in such a sinister way. The top brass at Lamborghini wanted the next model to be able to hit 320 kph, and the Diablo delivered with a top speed of 325 kph. The car was also able to throw down a 0 to 100 kmh dash in just 4.5 seconds, which would still make most modern cars look slow. The Diablo leveraged its 5.7-liter V12 engine, which came with four valves per cylinder and could push out as much as 492 horsepower.

Despite having some wild styling for the day, the Diablo's interior was famous for featuring some acreage of cheap plastic and controls that loved to break off in the driver's hand. I could make a joke about Chrysler's contribution to the cheap interior, but that would be a cheap shot. Thankfully, Audi ownership has meant Lamborghinis now have incredibly nice interiors.

As with other Lamborghini models, the Diablo was made in several different versions. One was the VT or Visco Traction, which had an all-wheel drive system for improved handling. The car helped pioneer a new era for Lamborghini, bringing the company into the 21st century and a bold new future.

12 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous car, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine buying a really expensive car only to have some cheap plastic part break in my hands while driving. What a nightmare! As you say, glad Audi delivers that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one in black! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black cars look amazing. I've owned a few myself and they definitely impress.

      Delete
  4. That is a sweet ride. I want one. New follower here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father was HUGELY into cars (specifically from GM) and occasionally I feel like I inherited a hint of that from him... but mostly I'm looking at this one and thinking 'It's pretty, but it's orange" so... maybe not as much as I thought LOL

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, orange isn't my first choice for colors :)

      Delete
  6. Do you watch Top Gear? Its a show I bet you'd enjoy. I had no idea Lambo named all their cars after bulllfighting! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know Top Gear. Most people don't know about Lambo naming conventions, so don't feel bad.

      Delete