Thursday, May 7, 2015

This Is Why School Buses Should Have Seatbelts

When I was a kid, I learned that buckling up saved lives. Before then, quite a few cars didn't even come with seatbelts, which today is pretty much unthinkable. I remember using lap belts, something I today know are actually pretty dangerous.

Even when I was young, I thought it was completely insane that school buses didn't come with seatbelts of any kind. I heard all the excuses: school buses are so big they aren't necessary, kids won't use them, they'll only injure people, etc.

As far as I know, only six states today require safety belts in school buses. Six! Apparently, people still think that school buses don't crash, or that when they do the kids won't go flying. I can remember some of my bus drivers flying down the road and being scared at how fast we were going.

Take a moment to watch this crash test video, which shows what happens to kids that are secured using three-point belts versus those who are just sitting on the seats unrestrained. Imagine if any of the crash dummies were actual children and the kinds of injuries they would sustain.


No comments:

Post a Comment